There are a ton of liquors and liqueurs out there that specifically feature spices—things you might not always have or have access to because of seasonality, location or lack of a gourmet grocer. With the flavor living in a bottle though, there is no worrying about shelf life. These leaves won’t turn brown and mushy in the fridge or die on your window sill because you forgot to water them for a few weeks (come ‘on, like it hasn’t happened to you?!).
I put together a little shopping list: all great options to add to your cabinet over the next couple of weeks that can work in place of, or in harmony with, the spices they feature. Some are definite splurges, but can be enjoyed on the rocks while you cook—others are great for mixing or strictly to add to the pot
Art in the Age Suite: Rhubarb Tea, Root, Sage, Snap.
- fruit chutneys, cookies, soups, cake, icing, stews…and just about everything els
- vinaigrettes, cakes, jams, champagne cocktails, fruit chutney
Jagermeister—citrus peel, licorice, anise, poppy seeds, saffron, ginger, juniper berries and ginseng.
- roasted leg of lamb, gingerbread, chocolate glazes
broVo suite: lavender, Douglas Fir, Ginger, Lemon Balm, Rose Geranium.
- ham glazes, poached salmon, braised beef, drunken fruit, champage cocktails
- chocolate truffles, icings, ice cream, sorbet
Kummel—caraway seed, cumin, fennel.
- MEAT. braising, poaching, searing, roasting, marinades for grilling…
- hot toddies, brownies, cakes, with pasta (& garlic!)
Jaan Paan—betel leaf, saffron, cardamom, sandalwood.
- chicken, salmon, waffles
Goldschlager—cinnamon Red Hots.
- chili, chicken, pork, sugar cookies.
- seafood, marinades for meats, Greek pastries
Old Liquor Store Ginger Liqueur—ginger!
- vinaigrettes, marinades, seafood, cranberry sauce, pho
Voyant Chai—chai, cinnamon.
- whipped cream, icings, tomato sauce, braising meat
Y Chilli—chili peppers.
- chili, chocolate cakes, salsa
Galliano—vanilla, star anise, Mediterranean anise, ginger, citrus, juniper, musk yarrow, and lavender.
- beef stew, brisket, braised chicken